Welcome
Welcome to the Psychopath and Narcissist Survivors Support Group.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you only limited access to discussions and other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to reply to topics and post new topics, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Co-morbidity of personality disorders

Sam Vaknin is the author of "Malignant Self-love: Narcissism Revisited" and 8 other books about personality disorders and abuse in relationships with narcissists and psychopaths. He is the owner and moderator of support forums and the first person to have written about the Narcissistic Personality disorder (NPD) online (in 1997). He invented many of the terms currently used to describe the disorder and its effects on family, the workplace, and in various professions.

Where to go to ask Dr. Sam questions. This is intended as Questions to Dr. Vaknin and his responses

** Please do not post replies in this forum. This forum is for Dr. Vaknin ONLY to answer questions. Any general discussion posts WILL be deleted without warning.**

Moderators: WindSong, samvaknin

Co-morbidity of personality disorders

Postby MadgeMagic » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:40 pm

Hi Dr Vaknin

I am hoping that you can shed some light on my ex-partner (mother of my children) and diagnostic criteria in DMS 5.

I will try to be brief. She is undiagnosed and I am not qualified to make a diagnosis. However, I have known her for over 20 years (in an intimate relationship for 10 years) and in my exasperated search for meaning, I have read widely.

To cut right to the chase, I am certain that she has a personality disorder, as all conditions (A to E) under the "General Criteria for a Personality Disorder", as outlined in DSM 5, appear to be satisfied. My question here is around criterion C. When considered from my perspective, her impairments in personality functioning and personality trait expression are obvious, stable across time and consistent across situations. However, aside from myself, I am not aware of any other adult person that is adversely affected by, or even aware of, her psychopathology. It seems to me that no other adult in her life has sufficient access and insight to identify and/or understand; to the outside world, she appears a normal-range mother and her family appears normal. It also feels like I am the only person that suffers the wrath of her condition. Her current partner and my kids do, obviously, but her 'family', which I call the regime, operates like a mini-cult, with my ex-partner as the leader and, therefore, in control of the other members. Is it possible that I am the only adult person outside the regime that sees her for what she is?

In terms of a specific disorder, I am certain that she has Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD), as this is the only personality disorder for which she satisfies all criteria set out in DSM 5. But, in my unqualified opinion, she has impairments in personality functioning and the presence of pathological personality traits that strongly correlate with other disorders.

For example, she appears to satisfy all criteria for Antisocial Personality Disorder (ASD), apart from those under B2 (disinhibition characterised by irresponsibility, impulsivity and risk-taking). From my perspective, the pathological personality traits for APD (manipulativeness, deceitfulness, callousness and hostility) are more representative of her behaviour than the corresponding traits for NPD (grandiosity and attention seeking), but she demonstrates all of them. I note that 'antagonism' is a pathological personality traits shared with NPD, which seems to further confirm my feeling of correlation between the conditions.

Furthermore, she appears to satisfy all criteria for Borderline Personality Disorder (BSD), apart from those under B2 (disinhibition characterised by impulsivity and risk-taking). In particular, I have much exposure to her dissociative states under stress (lies, distorts reality and rewrites history), inclination for interpersonal hypersensitivity (prone to feel slighted or insulted), perceptions of others selectively biased toward negative attributes or vulnerabilities (splitting, persecutory delusions), frequent mood changes that are easily aroused, intense, and out of proportion, and fear of losing control (complete control freak). I also note that 'antagonism' is a pathological personality traits shared with APD and NPD, which seems to further confirm my feeling of correlation between the conditions.

Finally, she also exhibits the majority of the impairments in personality functioning that align with Schizotypal Personality Disorder SPD), but most of the associated pathological personality traits appear to be absent, with the clear exception of B3 (negative affectivity characterised by suspiciousness).

Dr Vaknin, can you provide any advice, insight or information on my ex-partners apparent co-morbidity? I feel that she manifests the majority of the impairments in personality functioning and personality trait expression for two of the referenced disorders (APD and BPD), along with the majority of the impairments in personality functioning that align with SPD, yet satisfies all of the personality functioning and personality trait expression criteria for only one, NPD.

Clearly, she is a nightmare to deal with at the best of times, but is particularly difficult when under stress.

I hold grave fears for my children, whom she is working hard to alienate from me, and am torn between legal action to remove them from her custody (which would ensure a lengthy period of dealing with her at her absolute worst) and/or appeasement, to reduce her impact on the boys through their adolescence (they are twins, turning 13 in January).

As it stands, we share care 50/50, which makes it difficult for her to gain much traction in her attempts to alienate the boys from me.

Thanks in advance for any advice, insight or information you can provide.

Regards
Madge
MadgeMagic

Re: Co-morbidity of personality disorders

Postby samvaknin » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:04 pm

As you correctly noted, only a qualified mental health diagnostician can determine whether someone suffers from Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD) and this, following lengthy tests and personal interviews.

These may be of help - click on the links:

http://vaksam.tripod.com/faq82.html

http://vaksam.tripod.com/faqpd.html

http://vaksam.tripod.com/1.html

http://vaksam.tripod.com/npdglance.html
Encyclopedia of Narcissism and Psychopathy:

http://www.narcissistic-abuse.com/siteindex.html

Buy 16 books or 3 video DVDs about narcissists, psychopaths, and abusive relationships - click on this link:

http://www.narcissistic-abuse.com/thebook.html
samvaknin
Site Admin

Return to Ask Dr. Vaknin Forum - post for ONLY Dr. Vaknin to answer. NOT a general discussion forum